... because we understand

Accident Books

Accident Books

After a workplace accident, it is a legal requirement that the details of the incident are recorded in the company’s accident book. These accident books are an essential legal document that any business with employees should have. They ensure that workplace accidents cannot be swept under the rug as well as creating a trail of evidence which allows for further action to be taken either by the employer or the employee if they so wish. 

It has been a legal requirement to possess such documents and log the details of accidents since the introduction of the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulation in 1979. There are two versions available, one which is published by the government’s Stationery Office and another which is published by the Health and Safety Executive. Both meet the requirements of the 1979 law and subsequent updates to it. 

It is important to note that data protection laws mean that when a victim is entering the details of their accident, they should not be able to access the details of previous accidents that have occurred at the company. Being able to do so could be a breach of someone’s personal information and data. Newer versions of the book have features such as tear-out sheets that comply with data protection laws. 

Employers must keep a record of injuries that might happen on their premises, or to employees working elsewhere on your behalf. An up to date accident book must be kept in an easily accessible place. However, all slips containing personal information should be detached and kept in safe storage (e.g. in a lockable filing cabinet). 

The Accident Book and any other related accident records must be stored in a safe storage space for three years. This is because the time limit for making a claim after an accident has occurred is generally three-years, apart from in certain specific scenarios that might extend that time limit. Some more serious accidents may have to be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) under the Reporting of Injuries, Disease, and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR). Therefore, as well as keeping records in the accident book, the law states that you must notify and report certain injury cases and deaths arising from workplace accidents to the HSE. This reporting must be done within specific timelines. Guidelines should be set out within the accident book. 

Making Personal Injury Claims

If you were injured in an accident at work that wasn’t your fault, you may be entitled to compensation. First Personal Injury solicitors are available to assist you and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. 

First Personal Injury works with both families and individuals across England and Wales, leading them on their legal journey and helping them claim compensation after an accident or injury.

To learn more or to start your claim, get in touch with our expert team on 0800 808 9740 or contact us online. 

Explore: Personal Injury Resources 

Make a claim