Who Do I Claim Compensation From?

Start your claim here

Make a claim now by calling 0800 808 9740 or

No win no fee injury claims

Make a claim

Personal Injury Claim – Who Do I Claim From?

If you have a possible personal injury claim and are wondering ‘who do I claim from?’ then the answer will depend on the type of claim you have.

In all personal injury cases, it is important that the blameworthy party is insured as all claims will go through the insurance company of the person or professional institution/body who is responsible for your injury.

Claiming for a road traffic accident

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident that was not your fault and have suffered an injury or injuries, then your claim will go through the insurance company of the person who was responsible for the accident. If you were a passenger in a car then it could be the person driving the car you were in or if you were hit by another vehicle it will be the insurance company related to the other vehicle’s driver. Road traffic claims also include people who have been injured as a pedestrian, on a motorcycle or while cycling.

In some road traffic accidents you may be related to the person who has caused the accident, for example, your brother or mother could have been the driver of a car where you were a passenger. In these instances, although you may initially feel uncomfortable making a claim of this kind you still have a legal right to do so and all communications can be made through solicitors and insurance companies.

Claiming for an accident at work

You may have experienced an injury in the workplace and if so, your personal injury claim will be claimed from by your employer’s insurance company.

Strict legislation is in place for all companies who employ people to have Employer’s Liability insurance. In the case of an accident at work or if you have contracted an industrial disease that was the fault of your employer, then you will make a claim from their insurance policy.

Claiming against the council

If you have slipped or tripped on council property then you could have a compensation claim if you can prove it was the fault of the council. Your claim will be made against the local authority and their insurers. For more information, visit our compensation claims against the council page.

Claiming medical negligence

If you have been injured through the fault of a medical professional or medical body, e.g. you have had a misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis from your GP or if there has been a mistake during a surgical procedure at hospital, and you have suffered as a result, then you could have a medical negligence case. Again, your claim will go through the insurance company of the blameworthy party.

The blameworthy party is not insured

If the party who is at fault is not insured, then in some cases, there are ways in which you can still make a claim. For example, if you have been hit by an uninsured driver on the roads then your claim can go through the Motors Insurance Bureau (MIB) in some instances.

Also, if you have suffered an industrial illness in the workplace and your employer no longer exists or insurance records cannot be found, then recent legislation regarding some industrial illnesses means many can still make a personal injury claim. It is advisable to speak to a personal injury lawyer about your specific circumstances in order to get more accurate advice about your specific circumstances.

Making a personal injury claim with First Personal Injury

If you have had an accident at work, on the roads or while in hospital, then you could have a valid compensation claim. If you would like more information regarding who you will make a claim against then please get in touch with our no win no fee solicitors at First Personal Injury.

Personal Injury Claims with First Personal Injury

First Personal Injury has built up a reputation across the United Kingdom for their approach to accident and personal injury claims. Working with members of the public who have had personal injuries, we continually exceed our clients’ expectations.

Contact First Personal Injury’s accident claims solicitors free today by calling 0800 808 9740 or by completing our online enquiry form.

How to make an injury claim

Request a call back
Request a call back

Please enter your details