Chemical Leaks Injury ClaimsChemical Leaks Injury Claims

Home » Personal Injury Claims » Accidents At Work » Chemical Leaks Injury Claims

Start your claim here

Make a claim now by calling 0800 808 9740 or

No win no fee injury claims

Make a claim

It is an employer’s responsibility to make all staff aware of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for any hazardous substances that they handle, store or dispose of. The information of the MSDS will help protect everyone in the workplace as avoiding causing damage to their work environment. If your business makes or supplies potentially hazardous substances, you must record these substances on an MSDS. 

Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH), an employer must control their employee’s exposure to hazardous substances as much as possible to reduce the health risk to employees. 

Amount of Compensation

If you have been exposed to dangerous chemicals in the workplace you may be entitled to make a personal injury claim. Compensation takes into account the impact and severity of your injuries, so the pain and suffering caused by them as well as the impact that they have had upon your ability to do certain activities and function as you normally would.

To find out more about compensation amounts for different injuries, take a look at our compensation calculator.

Compensation also takes into account financial losses related to the accident. For example, if you have been unable to work due to your injuries or have had to pay for treatment, these sorts of costs could be recuperated through compensation. Therefore, you should keep any receipts relating to costs associated with your accident as these costs could potentially be recuperated. 

You should discuss your case with an experienced personal injury solicitor to get a more detailed idea of how much compensation you could be owed. They will assess the validity of your claim while taking into account all the specific details of your case to give you an estimation. 


Excellent personal service. Always handled with care

Jackie from Essex
See more testimonials

Accidents at Work Involving Chemical Leaks

Many industries use chemicals, whether that be is to manufacturer, test or do something else. Many industries also produce. Due to this, it is inevitable that injuries will sometimes occur. Employees are responsible for the health and well-being of their workforce and a result they must do their utmost to try to safeguard their safety. For example, they must carry out risk assessments and take reasonable precautions. There are stringent laws governing the use and manufacture of chemicals in the workplace. 

Examples of Chemical Leak Incidents

Chemical leaks are thankfully not very common. However, they can still happen and are still a serious risk. For example, in January 2020 there was an ‘acid cloud’ leak at a West Thurrock chemical plant. Luckily the incident was not a risk to public health, but many schools had to close in order to be safe.

However, many leaks can sadly cause illness, injury and even death. For example, a 2007 accident involving the release of hexamethylenediamine in a Teesside chemical plant saw 37 workers suffer serious burns, breathing difficulties and skin irritation. In these sorts of cases, employees may want to make a work injury compensation claim. 

Your employer has a duty of care to ensure your health and safety and if this duty has not been met, you deserve to be able to claim. The health consequences of chemical leaks can often be quite severe and distressing for the person who has been affected and their family members which mean that the compensation amounts will often be quite large. 

Making Personal Injury Claims

If you have been injured due to exposure to hazardous chemicals, you may be entitled to compensation. First Personal Injury solicitors are available to assist you and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. 

First Personal Injury works with both families and individuals across England and Wales, leading them on their legal journey and helping them claim compensation after an accident or injury. 

To learn more or to start your claim, get in touch with our expert team on 0800 808 9740 or contact us online. 

Explore: Personal Injury Resources 

How to make an injury claim

Request a call back
Request a call back

Please enter your details