Been hurt in a kitchen?

Talk to us

Accidents at work/ Kitchen

Commercial Kitchen Accidents

Kitchen Accidents

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for implementing and carrying out safety regulations in the commercial catering industry. These regulations cover many different types of premises and businesses where food is prepared and sold including pubs, hotels, restaurants, cafes, fast food outlets, bistros and contract caterers. The kitchen is a dangerous place to work and many accidents occur every day. It is the responsibility of the HSE to ensure that employers complete the appropriate risk assessment and adhere to strict rules governing safety in the kitchen. As with other industries, it is the responsibility of the employer to assess risk and to provide training and the appropriate equipment.

Common Kitchen Accidents

The most common accidents in the commercial kitchen are slips, trips and falls. These usually occur because of wet floors so it is essential to wipe up any spillages as soon as possible. Warning signs should be used and if necessary, areas cordoned off until the floor is dry. Floors should be well-maintained and should not have an uneven surface or loose or damaged floor tiles. In addition, passageways and walkways should be kept free from obstacles or obstructions.

Make a claim

  • "It was a long hard battle, due to Covid but these guys worked tirelessly to get the job done."

    Jermaine from London

Other Kitchen Accidents

Kitchen staff often have to handle heavy and cumbersome objects. It is important to never push, pull or drag heavy items. If an object is too heavy to lift on your own, you should ask a colleague for help or use a special lifting device. You should always follow basic health and safety advice on how to lift objects properly.

Because employees are working with very sharp knives, cuts are a common form of injury in the kitchen. It is essential that staff are properly trained and follow safety procedures.

Kitchen staff are also vulnerable to burns from hot liquids such as oil and water. The HSE have specific guidelines to advise on safety procedures for opening steam doors and the draining and cleaning of fat fryers, for example.

Amount of Compensation

All personal injury cases are unique and so the amount of compensation that is awarded in each case is also unique. Compensation is understood by looking at two specific factors: general damages and special damages.


The pain and suffering that your injuries have caused are main factors that are used to determine how much general damage compensation you are owed. This will usually be determined by undergoing a medical examination, from which a report is created that highlights the length of time the injuries will take to heal as well as their severity. Our compensation calculator will give you an indication of how much general damage compensation you might be entitled to based upon your injuries.


In addition to receiving compensation for your injuries, you may be able to reclaim any financial losses that you might have suffered as a result of your injuries. Compensation for financial losses is known as special damages compensation. This can include losses such as loss of earnings due to not being able to return to work, the cost of treatment as well as travel to treatment. It is important that you keep any receipts or evidence of additional losses in order for these to be reclaimed.

With the exception of children, there is a three-year time limit on making a personal injury claim. This time limit begins from the date that the accident initially occurred. Therefore, you should contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as possible to assess your case.