Compensation Claims Against The Police

Home » Other Accident Claims » Compensation Claims Against The Police

Start your claim here

Make a claim now by calling 0800 808 9740 or

No win no fee injury claims

Make a claim

If you have suffered a personal injury in an accident involving the police that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim.

To learn more or to start your claim, get in touch with our expert team on 0800 808 9740 or contact us online. 

Circumstances for personal injury claims

The police have a special role in society to enforce the law and protect us, but they are not above the law. In certain instances they can overstep their boundaries and legal powers, causing personal injury to a member of the public.

Instances when this might happen include:

  • A situation where you have been deliberately assaulted by a police officer
  • Inappropriate use of force by a police officer
  • You were involved in a road traffic accident with a police officer in which you suffered personal injury

“Crystal was fantastic, she put my mind at ease when I was worried about my case and assured me that we would win the case.”

See more testimonials

What should I do?

If you have suffered personal injury as a result of an incident with a police officer it’s vital that you contact personal injury solicitors with experience in this area of the law.

Making a claim against the police can be an extremely daunting prospect, so if you feel you are eligible for compensation contact an experienced team of solicitors immediately. They will take into account all the elements of the incident and advise you whether you have a valid claim and the best course of action.

In many cases, they may be able to act for you on a no win, no fee basis.

Potential outcomes

If your personal injury compensation claim is successful the following damages could potentially be awarded:

  • Basic damages for pain and suffering – this will be an amount of money designed to compensate you for the personal injury suffered
  • Financial losses – this will take into account past and future financial losses suffered as a result of the injury
  • Aggravated damages – damages for injured feelings; will not be less than £1,000
  • Exemplary damages – designed to punish the conduct of a police officer which is deemed to be arbitrary, oppressive or unconstitutional; will not be less than £5,500

The amount of damages awarded will depend upon the particular circumstances of your case.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

If you are unable to pursue a personal injury claim, a claim may be able to be brought to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority where injuries have been suffered as a result of a crime of violence, for example where you have been deliberately assaulted

These types of claim must be made within 2 years of the incident. The amount of compensation awarded by the authority will be determined according to a Tariff Scheme and is assessed according to the injuries sustained.

To learn more or to start your claim, get in touch with our expert team on 0800 808 9740 or contact us online. 

Explore: Personal Injury Resources 

How to make an injury claim

Request a call back
Request a call back

Please enter your details